Guaranteed Asset Protection
  1. If my vehicle has been declared a total loss, how do I file a GAP claim?

    Please print the GAP Claim Reporting Form located on the Initiate GAP Claim page.  The form consists of nine items we need to process a claim.  Gather the required documents and forward by mail, fax or e-mail within 90 days from the date of the Primary Insurance company settlement.  The e-mail address, fax number and street address are shown on the GAP Claim Reporting Form.

  2. What is the Insurance Settlement Breakdown?

    The Settlement Breakdown provides the calculation used by the Primary Insurance Company for the primary insurance company's settlement.  Figures included on the breakdown are: Actual Cash Value (ACV) report of the vehicle as determined by the primary insurance company, sales tax, title fees, insurance deductible, and any deductions for prior damage or salvage, etc.  The settlement figure should match the primary insurance settlement check.  You can obtain this document from your primary insurance carrier.

  3. What is the Actual Cash Value (ACV) report?

    This is a report that the insurance company uses to determine the actual cash value of your vehicle.  Examples include: Kelly Blue Book, CCC Valuescope, NADA and Autosource.  The ACV report can be obtained from your primary insurance carrier. 

  4. Are the Retail Installment Sales Contract and the Bill of Sale the same thing?

    The Retail Installment Sales Contract or Security Agreement shows the amount you have financed, when the payments are to begin, term of the contract (loan) and amount of each payment.  It will also list any items financed with the purchase of the vehicle, such as extended warranty, credit life, disability policies, tire and wheel coverage or maintenance protection plans.  These items are cancelable and the unused portion of these premiums will go toward reducing the amount of your loan.  The bill of sale/buyers order is your receipt for the vehicle purchase.  It will detail the date of vehicle purchase, the vehicle's odometer reading at the time of purchase and the vehicle identification number (VIN).  If you do not have a copy of this document, a copy can be provided to you by your lender or seller of the vehicle. 

  5. Why is my loan payment history necessary?

    The loan payment history provides us with information necessary to calculate your GAP benefit.  In addition to providing your account/customer/loan number, the loan payment history documents payments made, late charges incurred, fees and overpayments.  The loan payment history may be obtained from your lender.

  6. Why is a police report necessary?

    The police report documents the vehicle loss and provides us with the date of loss, the vehicle identification number, vehicle owner and/or driver, and the police officer's summary of the incident (narrative, diagrams, and citations). 

Vehicle Service Contract
  1. Why should I buy a vehicle service contract?

    Your vehicle is a major investment. Next to your home, it’s probably the biggest investment you will ever make. You’ll want to protect it so you can drive it for many years to come.

  2. How does a service contract work?

    With a vehicle service contract, you are covered when your vehicle experiences a mechanical breakdown or failure that is addressed by the vehicle service contract.  The process varies throughout the industry.  Typically, you simply have the repair facility of your choice contact the provider's claims center to report the claim prior to repairs. The claims representative works with the repair facility to repair your vehicle and cover applicable costs.  The terms of the contract should make clear that certain costs are covered and certain costs may not be covered. The vehicle components that are specified for coverage are listed in your agreement.  As the contract holder, you will be responsible for the cost of any uncovered repairs and your deductible.  Regular maintenance must be properly and regularly performed as defined by the terms and conditions of your vehicle service contract.

  3. What do I do if I have a mechanical breakdown?

    Use reasonable means to protect your vehicle from further damage and simply have your repair facility contact a Claims Adjuster for approval of covered losses prior to performing the repair.  Our Claims Adjusters may be reached at our toll-free number, 1-800-331-3780.  Immediate payment of approved claims is available with our corporate credit card.  There is no claim form to complete and no limit on the number of claims.  Our plans provide coverage for parts, labor, and even sales tax, if applicable. 

  4. Where can I take my vehicle for repairs?

    The choice is yours.  Mechanical breakdowns may be repaired at the licensed repair facility of your choice, anywhere in the United States or Canada.  Always remember to have the repair facility contact our Claims Adjuster for authorization prior to performing the repair.  Our Claims Adjusters may be reached at our toll-free number, 1-800-331-3780

  5. What does my service contract cover?

    Please refer to your service contract or contact our customer service department at 1-800-331-3780.

  6. What if I have an emergency repair?

    In the event that you encounter a minor mechanical breakdown (under $500) outside our normal business hours which causes your vehicle to be inoperable or unsafe, you may choose to authorize an emergency repair to return your vehicle to operation.  In order to receive consideration for coverage, we ask that you contact our Claims Adjusters within five days of the repair.  Claims Adjusters may be contacted by calling 1-800-331-3780 or by completing the Emergency Repair Claim Form located on our website under FORMS and mailing or faxing as indicated on the form. Our normal business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday.

  7. What is a licensed repair facility?

    Any automotive repair facility or dealership that is licensed to do business in the state they are located.

  8. How do you determine the dollar amount you will pay for covered repair?

    Our contracts will provide coverage for parts, labor and even sales tax, when applicable.  Parts pricing of up to the manufacturer's suggested retail price are covered and labor reimbursement is based upon the labor time shown in nationally recognized labor manuals and the repair facility's hourly rate.  

  9. How do I get reimbursed for rental or towing expenses?

    If you have a covered repair and incur rental and/or towing expenses, reimbursement of those expenses is obtained by mailing or faxing the receipt(s).  Reimbursement will be provided based upon the coverage purchased.   

  10. Do Old Republic contracts provide any benefits beyond coverage of mechanical failures?

    The coverage provided by our plans is comprehensive.  Most of our contracts/plans provide additional benefits which include towing, vehicle rental reimbursement, travel interruption protection, roadside assistance and even road hazard protection for your tires.  

  11. What if my vehicle breaks down while I am traveling away from home?

    Our plans allow you to seek repairs from any licensed repair facility throughout the United States and Canada.  Wherever you need repairs, whether in your neighborhood or on vacation, the repair facility you select simply contacts our Claims Adjuster at 1-800-331-3780 for authorization.  In addition, most of our plans include travel interruption protection which provide reimbursement of meal and lodging expenses when the mechanical breakdown occurs more than 100 miles from your home.

  12. If I sell my vehicle, can I cancel or transfer my contract?

    In most states, our contracts provide an initial "free look" time period.  In those states, if you opt to cancel coverage in the "free look" period, a full refund is provided.  After the initial time period, a prorated refund of the unused portion of the contract is provided.  Prorated refunds are based on the amount of use by time and miles compared to the amount of coverage purchased, by time and miles.  Coverage may be cancelled at any time by contacting the seller.  

    A VSC Transfer form can be obtained by contacting our Customer Service department (customerservice@orias.com).